An experiment with the sun

This was an experiment from a prompt to use recycled materials, or things that were going to be thrown out. I used some flowers from my front yard that were dried up and about to be tossed. I blended them, strained them, then used the dyed water to paint a piece of cotton paper.

 Next, I made a digital collage, and printed it out on transparency film. I held that in place with clear-ish tape and attached some of the left over flowers to it. This whole set up went into the back window of my car for about a month to let the sun fade the dye. I was hoping that the black of the toner would protect parts of the paper and keep it from fading. Thus creating a type of photo process similar to a Van Dyke print. 

Next, I made a digital collage, and printed it out on transparency film. I held that in place with clear-ish tape and attached some of the left over flowers to it. This whole set up went into the back window of my car for about a month to let the sun fade the dye. I was hoping that the black of the toner would protect parts of the paper and keep it from fading. Thus creating a type of photo process similar to a Van Dyke print. 

 This is what it looks like now! It's sharper than I thought it would be, since the light source was constantly moving from the sun's normal movement and me driving around town. I think I will make a few more, while these flowers are in bloom. Showing this kind of work will be hard because they're obviously super light sensitive. I will worry about that later though.  =)

This is what it looks like now! It's sharper than I thought it would be, since the light source was constantly moving from the sun's normal movement and me driving around town. I think I will make a few more, while these flowers are in bloom. Showing this kind of work will be hard because they're obviously super light sensitive. I will worry about that later though.  =)